I just tested your Octopus.
Glad to see you’re persevering on the HD, which you seem to have tamed by now.
Well, since the project is still in development, I’d like to point out a few possible improvements:
As I advised you on your previous project (Parachute), I personally prefer to stick to the original rendering of the game on Game & Watch… with no frills and no apparent sign of an “adaptation” for META. We’re playing it on META… so it’s a bit obvious that it’s an adaptation
Then, the appearance of the original Game & Watch handheld before starting the game suffers from a deformation that deserts the desired effect. So, it doesn’t necessarily seem very useful to me to introduce it here… even if the rendering is very clean It would be better to take care of the article that will introduce your game, in which you will be able to make all this appear in better conditions.
I also find the colors a little dull… It’s true that the original wasn’t the most shimmering, but well, in an adaptation, you can take advantage of it to improve the general graphic aspect.
Now, as far as the gameplay is concerned, I think the basic cadence is slightly higher on the original game. You can see it on this demo video:
The extension of the tentacles also needs to be reviewed. In the original game, at each time step, each tentacle changes state in turn. No tentacle remains frozen in one “position” for as long as it does. This makes the game a little more predictable and the difficulty is to synchronize well with the rhythm of the game.
I also noticed some display bugs concerning the appearance of the small loot bag, which disturb the feedback effect on the player. During my first game, I couldn’t remember exactly what to do… and it took me a while to understand that I had to collect a lot of loot before getting back on the boat and taking it with me.
Well, there is also the score display bug, since you have integrated the Donkey Kong Jr spritesheet, without correcting the background color of the digits. I deliberately avoided leaving a transparent background around the digits for optimization reasons. So, you have to think about updating the spritesheet with your own background color. You may have already done it in your code, but the binary downloadable on your creation page has not been updated in this case.
These are, basically, a few things that jumped out at me after playing for a few minutes.
Hopefully this will help you improve the overall impression of the player.
Criticism is easy, but art is difficult