OCTOPUS

Octopus is a Game & Watch game released as a part of the Wide Screen series on July 16, 1981. It is a single-screen single-player Game & Watch.

The object is to recover treasure from a sunken ship without getting caught by an octopus. The player must aim his diver under water by jumping off the side of a boat. Each time the octopus touches the player, one life is lost. A point is awarded for each portion of treasure retrieved from a sunken ship, and three additional points are awarded for evading the octopus a second time and returning to the boat.

The game is at version 1.0.This game is a port of the Aduboy version made by Roby (https://community.arduboy.com/t/octopus-game-watch/8571/22)
github: rferrari81/Arduboy-Octopus
Thanks to Steph too who made the structure of the HD progam for game and watch games in HD for the META

Sound has to be perfected
The game speeds as it progresses has to be added,
Additional lives granted at 200 and 500 points has to be added,

See more

2 Likes

Oh, nice to see this is coming to life!

1 Like

OK, i have test and i see 2 problems: first : there is a graphical bug when looting gold
Second: wav take too much time and is bad for gameplay so ill have to generate sound instead.
I’ll corect it when ading 2 path for leg 1 and 3 and additionnal lives and score saving and showing
What do you think else about speed ? Need i accelerate something (i’ll do for loot animation)
Anythings else i have to add ?

Ah, this brings back memories. This may actually have been one of the games I played when the consoles originally were released. I like the detailed title screen. It is quite realistic despite the relatively small resolution. The game play itself is not that exciting, but that’s because times have changed since these consoles were released in the eighties.

1 Like

yes and gameplay have to be adjusted and for that i need your return for adjustements to do in the different speeds (atm i slow it alot for tests mainly and to be able to win but i’m sure that alot adjustement have to be done)

Hi @jicehel,

I just tested your Octopus.
Glad to see you’re persevering on the HD, which you seem to have tamed by now.

Well, since the project is still in development, I’d like to point out a few possible improvements:

As I advised you on your previous project (Parachute), I personally prefer to stick to the original rendering of the game on Game & Watch… with no frills and no apparent sign of an “adaptation” for META. We’re playing it on META… so it’s a bit obvious that it’s an adaptation :slight_smile:

Then, the appearance of the original Game & Watch handheld before starting the game suffers from a deformation that deserts the desired effect. So, it doesn’t necessarily seem very useful to me to introduce it here… even if the rendering is very clean :wink: It would be better to take care of the article that will introduce your game, in which you will be able to make all this appear in better conditions.

I also find the colors a little dull… It’s true that the original wasn’t the most shimmering, but well, in an adaptation, you can take advantage of it to improve the general graphic aspect.

Now, as far as the gameplay is concerned, I think the basic cadence is slightly higher on the original game. You can see it on this demo video:

The extension of the tentacles also needs to be reviewed. In the original game, at each time step, each tentacle changes state in turn. No tentacle remains frozen in one “position” for as long as it does. This makes the game a little more predictable and the difficulty is to synchronize well with the rhythm of the game.

I also noticed some display bugs concerning the appearance of the small loot bag, which disturb the feedback effect on the player. During my first game, I couldn’t remember exactly what to do… and it took me a while to understand that I had to collect a lot of loot before getting back on the boat and taking it with me.

Well, there is also the score display bug, since you have integrated the Donkey Kong Jr spritesheet, without correcting the background color of the digits. I deliberately avoided leaving a transparent background around the digits for optimization reasons. So, you have to think about updating the spritesheet with your own background color. You may have already done it in your code, but the binary downloadable on your creation page has not been updated in this case.

These are, basically, a few things that jumped out at me after playing for a few minutes.
Hopefully this will help you improve the overall impression of the player.

Criticism is easy, but art is difficult :wink:

Friendly,
Steph

1 Like

Steph, tu pourrais jeter un œil sur le code sur Github ?
J’ai voulu changer l’animation des gambettes de la bebette mais j’ai un comportement bizarre au niveau de l’animation.
Si tu as le temps d’y jeter un coup d’œil extérieur, tu verras sans doute l’erreur que j’ai fais.
L’idée c’est d’animer toutes les jambes comme tu le préconisais mais chacune à leur propre rythme.

Salut,

C’est bien pour l’update d’octopus, maintenant il faudrait que tu fix celui de parachute où les rangées se mettent à jour toutes en même temps (ce qui n’est pas représentatif du jeu original).

Je l’avais codé il y a qq années, ça s’entend au ‘son’.

gibs

Il était super. Tu aurais encore le code ou le principe de la synchro des parachutes ?
Il faut aussi que je vire les wav pour les remplacer par des sons générés car comme le disais Steph le Wav ralentit trop le jeu. Sinon, avec ma maj, le principe me semblait bon mais il faudra que je reprenne du recule car la modif faite entraine un affichage irrégulier des pattes et certaines ne s’effacent plus.
J’ai dû faire une erreur d’indice ou de logique mais je n’ai pas le recul nécessaire pour le moment pour voir d’où ça vient. Si quelqu’un peu regarder, ce sera bien, sinon je regarderais dans quelques temps pour reprendre tout et comprendre là où je me suis planté (j’en profiterais peut être pour simplifier les indices du coup)

Je l’avais codé sur une plateforme rétro (Amiga) donc je ne sais pas si ça te servirait :slight_smile:
J’ai regardé le code d’octopus et c’est trop compliqué pour moi (je ne suis pas un bon coder) :slight_smile:

Pour Parachute (d’après mon analyse, je ne dis pas que c’est la bonne) tu as 3 colonnes (donc 3 variables (A,B,C) sur lesquelles il y a une rotation de bit sur la gauche. A tour de rôle, tu updates A puis B puis C.
Si tu veux implémenter le parachute qui s’accroche à l’arbre [en mode B]. Tu peux dire quand C vaut 4 tu décides si le parachute s’accroche ou non. S’il s’accroche, tu tires un nombre aléatoire pour le nombre de balancements et une fois ce nombre aléatoire atteint, il peut se dégager si un autre parachute n’est pas présent (si C différent de 8 normalement).

Pour Octopus, je viens de relancer ta version, et en fait (désolé) l’update ne correspond pas à la vidéo ci-dessus. De ce que je vois dans la vidéo, il y a une update par colonne à tour de rôle, qui se fait ainsi : A,C,B,D.
Pour la logique, je ferais une rotation de bit sur la gauche à laquelle j’additionnerais 1 suivi d’un rotation de bit sur la droite pour le retour de la tentacule (mais il y a surement plus simple).

1 Like